Have a chronic sore throat. Took flucloxacillin 500mg. How soon will this be cured?

ENT Specialist
hi ive had a chronic sore throat for the past 5 days, I had some flucloxacillin 500mg in the house so have been taking 4 a day (took a double dose on first day) for last 2 days - will this help and if so how soon before it kicks in? thanks - XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Seems to be an acute infection. Do you have repeated sore throats. Chronic sore throat is usually defined after several weeks of infection. Did you or do you have fever?

2. Most oral antibiotics start acting well within 24-48 hours. If there is a resistant infection, it is best to change the antibiotic after 5 days, preferably to Augmentin (amoxicillin + clavulanic acid 625 mg twice a day for 5-7 days). These antibiotics should be discontinued if diarrhea or rashes appear. Sometimes, the infection is viral and hence medication does not help. However supportive treatment is required to reduce the severity of the attack.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your throat. A throat swab or any discharge may be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. Routine blood tests may be advised by you doctor.

4. You may require a further course of antibiotics, pain killers, anti-allergics, medicated gargles (such as Betadine) and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision. Your diet should be absolutely bland, with no cold, spicy or sour foods. Try a medicated gargle immediately to soothe the throat.

5. You may share your throat culture and blood investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Get your throat examination and correct medication prescribed by a local doctor for prompt relief.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.