Have a chronic pancreatis and had 2 attacks. Given up alcohol and smoking. What is the life expectancy?

Question
i have a chronic pancreatis and had 2 attacks 1 year back ,i have stopped alcohal and smoking after 1st attack,now i am perfect leading a normal life ,their is no pain or attacks for last 14 months,i eat every thing but with less fat,do regular exercise and keep fit and do my job with full concentration.But still i am worried about my life expectancy .their is no decrease in weight from last 1 year,my apatite is good ,no dibetis .Please tell me how could be my future ,will their be any complication in future and how do i increase my weight i am still continueing my digetive pills though doctor has suggested me to stop it and watch.If i donot have any further attacks can my pacrease get cured
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 23 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

It is heartening to know that you have given up alcohol and smoking.
Was alcohol the cause of your pancreatitis (which is the commonest)? Or was it something else?
You do not seem to have a complication. I feel there is very little reason to worry if you abstain from alcohol and take good care as advised.
However, pancreatitis is a notorious disease and can occasionally have relapses and complications slowly. Pseudocyst, diabetes etc. may occur. Hopefully you do not have these now.
Worry less, follow a well balanced lifestyle with advice from doctors, seek early attention for any pain in abdomen, fever, nausea, vomiting and do regular follow-ups.
Your future life will be normal with a good life expetancy. Do not worry. Keep up a healthy diet to increase weight. You can try stopping digestive pills.

It would greatly help if you could upload any USG or CT scans, reports here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box.

You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)
I can tell you more specifically then.
You can ask a direct question to me at this site at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Have a chronic pancreatis and had 2 attacks. Given up alcohol and smoking. What is the life expectancy? 8 days later
with referance to the above health problem i do ultra sound scan every 3 months every thing shows normal,but bileduct is mildly dilated and size of bile duct is narrowed compared to last year ie from 4mm to 2.8mm and size of my pancrease is slightly reduced .My CA19.9 test is also normal.Are their any chances that bile duct completly gets closed and i may have any complication or i may require any sugery in future.Also i need to buy some life insurance plans to save my income tax.Am i eligible for buying it.Will my family get benifit out of that if any thing happens to me tomorrow.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Hello. thanks for this follow-up.

It is good news that your pancreas is normal without any complications.
The bile duct mostly does not close down in pancreatitis.

Recurrent pancreatitis may occasionally occur. You will not need any surgery for bile duct.

Your USG has not revealed any stones in the gall bladder/ duct.

You can buy life insurance. They will most probably have a provision to declare pre-existing illness where you will have to declare this. Pancreatic complications may be excluded from health insurance. For life insurance, you may have to undergo medicals. Please discuss with the insurance company about the claim benefits to the family.

Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!

Follow my earlier advice.