Have a burning sensation in lower intestine and infrequent bowel movement. Chances of colon cancer?

I have a burning sensation in my lower intestines. I tend to have infrequent bowel movements and take Miralax occasionally to help with that. When I do have a BM, it tends to be normal size. Lately, I have the burning sensation and feel blocked despite having diarrhea. Today, I had diarrhea-like movements that were very thin. There has never been any bleeding. I am concerned that it is colon cancer.
Thanks for your guidance.

Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
The problems you are facing are due to bad bowels habits and due to infections, some drugs, chemicals and physical stress. List than causes these types of symptoms are:
1. GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease): This causes nausea, bloating and burning sensation. Make a habit of sitting in erect position or walk at least 30-45 minutes after every diet.
2. Gastric and Peptic Ulcers: Endoscopy can help you to rule out the disease. Burning sensation is one of the major symptoms of ulcers. Antacids, PPI inhibitors and H2 inhibitors help you in getting rid from this problem.
3. Fatty liver: Sonography of the upper abdomen tells you about the problem. Good healthy fat free diet and plenty of water is mandatory for this.
4. Inflammation of upper or lower GI tracks: Bloating, constipation and disturbed bowels movements are symptoms of this disease. Effective antibiotic and antacids are the choice of treatment.
5. Constipation can also be caused by Hashimoto's disease you are suffering.

As per your concern Cancer of colon can cause obstruction in the bowel movements, abdomen distension and can cause blood in stool. I don't think you have it. Colonoscopy and barium enema X-ray are the diagnostic tests for cancer of colon. Consult your Gastroenterologist and you can go for the investigation. This will help you to relax you mind or stress.

Hope you got your answer to all your queries. Write back if you have any related queries. I will be happy to answer them.
Dr. Kulbir Singh