Have a bump on the inside lip of vagina. Clear bloody puss comes out after squeezing. How to get rid of it?

I have a bump on the inside lip of my vagina close to the clitoris. When I squeeze it a clear/bloody puss comes out but it doesn't hurt. I have had it got about 4 weeks and it won't go away. I have tried antibiotic ointment and warm compresses but it won't go away... What is it and how can I get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing to us.

The bump you are referring to has every possibility of being a sebaceous cyst. It is a harmless swelling which is non tender or painless. It is usually long standing and sometimes associated with a cheesy white discharge. Sometimes this cyst can get secondarily infected with the surrounding skin becoming reddish. It does not resolve with antibiotics and the latter can only treat secondary infection if any. This cyst keeps recurring at the same place as it has its own sheath or covering which must be removed only by surgical excision. The cyst can be left alone but if it causing considerable anxiety or concern, the only way out is get it removed surgically.

The other possibility can be a bartholins's cyst. This develops in the lower part of the labia near the vaginal opening.These occur due to blockage of the bartholin's gland which develops into a cyst. A Bartholin's cyst is usually not very painful, and significant pain suggests that an abscess has developed. A clear fluid can be expressed on bursting the cyst. Thick pus like material comes out when the cyst gets infected. Definitive treatment is surgical though sitz bath and warm compresses can help. Antibiotics have role only in clearing the infection if present but do not cause the swelling to regress.

The two possibilities I have mentioned can be easily differentiated by naked eye examination. Do not worry, both are benign (harmless). There is only tendency of recurrence, more when not properly treated.
So I suggest you to visit a gynecologist for an XXXXXXX examination and definitive management as needed.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.