Have a bump below armpit. Could it be an in grown hair?

Hello Doctor,
I have a bump below my armpit that hurts a lil when I raise my arm...can it be an in grown hair? can't really see an ingrown because it's below my skin.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Please provide the following clarifications so that I will be able to advise you better...

How long have you had swelling? How did it start?

How big is the swelling? Is it gradually increasing in size?

Do you have any redness over it?

Is there any discharge of fluid or pus or sticky material from it?

Have you had recurrent swellings / pimple-like eruptions in that area before?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow-up: Have a bump below armpit. Could it be an in grown hair? 8 hours later
Thank you for your reply.. I had it for approx two weeks now.. No redness or pus.. No rash just feels like a bump doesn't hurt just slightly when I stretch my arm up. I can feel the bump if I lift my arm up if not feels like nothing is there. About two weeks ago I tried to take out a blackhead located in the same area and I made it bleed.. Could I have infected the area?
It's not that big.. Don't know how to describe the size, smaller then a dime for's not growing stays the same size.
Hello again and thanks for the clarifications.

There are two possibilities. One is an infection / inflamation of the hair follicle or sebaceous gland in that area. (It is possible that you could have caused an infection while pinching the blackhead). The second possibility is an axillary lymph node. In either cases, the management is conservative and the swelling should subside on its own within a few days. In addition, you can try the following:

- Firstly, never pinch or sqeeze the swelling, as it can result in superimposed infection
- Secondly, gently wash the area with soap or a mild anti-septic solution frequently
- Keep the area dry and free of sweat as far as possible
- You can apply a topical antiseptic cream over the swelling
- You can take a mild anti-inflamatory medication for reducing the inflamation.

In case you develop any redness, tenderness, increase in size or pus discharge from the swelling, then you have to see a doctor for further management.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist