Have a bulge on abdomen. Getting burning sensation behind the bulge. What is this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a bulge on the right side of my abdomen. I can push it in and it does not cause any pain. It is uncomfortable from time to time in the form of a ache. It seems to fall back into place when I lean back or lie down. I do have a burning in my back behind the bulge. I can't associate the two except that both symptoms appeared at about the same time. Don't know it I have a hernia or the beginnings of one. There does not appear to be anything pushing through at the bulge side.

Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for posting your query.

From description it seems to beginnings of hernial symptoms.A hernia is caused by a weakening of the abdominal wall that leads to bulging or tearing and can later cause pain.
Because a hernia occurs due to a weakness in the stomach wall, exercises to strengthen the abdomen can be beneficial in preventing hernias. Exercises to strengthen the rectus abdominis are particularly beneficial because these muscles lay over the intestines, providing support.
All lumps, protrusions, or swelling should always be evaluated by a physician, as they may not be a hernia symptom, but rather enlarged lymph nodes or other abnormal growth.So I would suggest getting this evaluated by a physcian for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.