Have a broken metatarsal and distal fibula. Got wide stripe of bruise across the top of my foot. Normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a broken 5th metatarsal and broken distal fibula from a fall. My foot is in a boot with no weight bearing. I now have wide stripe of bruise across the top of my foot - from my middle two toes extending on angle to my ankle. Is this normal? I broke it while out of town and was told see a orthopedist in 7 days. The first appt I can get is in 11 days - does this matter?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

It is common to having bruse during injury to ankle and foot. It occurs due to rupture of microvasculature underneath the skin.This will take few days to be absorbed and get faded.
If fracture 5th metatarsal and distal fibula is undisplaced or minimally displaced, it can be manged in cast or boot with no weight bearing.
If the fracture is displaced, it require operative management.So if the fracture is displaced more, you need to see an orthopaedist as soon as possible.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image(X-ray) by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.