Have a bad throat. Took erythromycin. What else I can do?

Jun 2015

I have a bad throat since Sunday (24th February) and it has been going from bad to worse and back. I thought it was an infection because I had almost a litre of soft drink a day before in movie theatre. However, it has not healed yet.

Here is a summary of last 7 days since I have bad throat.
Day 1: Did nothing and it got worse and I kept coughing all night when I realized I need to do something about it.
Day 2: Gurgled
Day 3: Gurgled
Day 4: Gurgled + took Erythromycin 2 tablets 250 mg each and it got much better next morning
Day 5: Took Erythromycin 250 mg morning and 250 mg tablet in the evening
Day 6: Did not take medicine and it got worse in the evening so I took 250 mg tablet again
Day 7: Has been stable since morning and I have taken two tablets. And now I am writing to you for advice. Is there something I can do myself before going for a check up?

Thanks and regards,
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 38 minutes later

Thanks or your query.

The symptoms as mentioned in your post suggest that you are having Upper Pharyngitis.

Management includes:
1. Gargle with warm salt water to relieve throat pain.
2. Analgesics like paracetamol
3. Antihistamine preparations can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.
4. Antibiotics, if bacterial infection is suspected.
However, if it is caused by a virus, then antibiotics will not have any beneficial effect.

In your post you have mentioned that you are doing gargles regularly & also taken antibiotics (Erythromycin)

But, the failure of antibiotics to control the condition can be attributed to:
1. The causative organism (bacteria) is resistant to Erythromycin.
2. The causative organism is a virus, so antibiotics are of not able to act against it.

Under such circumstances, culture & sensitivity reports of throat swab will be helpful in choosing the medication to remove the causative organism.

So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist and get a proper physical examination done to rule out any focus of infection in the upper respiratory tract.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, avoid taking cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods.

Wishing you a Good Health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Have a bad throat. Took erythromycin. What else I can do? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr Polash. I will take it up with an ENT Specialist as you have advised.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later

You are always welcome.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

If you liked my answer and wish to write to me in future, you can ask me at WWW.WWWW.WW
Thanks and take care.
Dr. Polash Sannigrahi