Have a HDL - 122, LDL - 87 and total cholesterol - 220. Is this bad?

I have a HDL level of 122 and an LDL level of 87. Total Cholesterol of 220. Is this bad?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later
Hi Judie,
In fact this is NOT BAD at all! On the other hand, it is VERY GOOD! Low Density (LDL) cholesterol deposits in the blood vessels causing thickening and hardening - leading to a block in the vessels. It is called 'bad' cholesterol
High density (HDL) cholesterol removes the deposits from the vessel wall and takes to the liver for breakdown - Reverse Cholesterol Transport. It is called 'good' cholesterol.
It is hereditary - only a few blessed people have!
Take care and Good luck
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Follow-up: Have a HDL - 122, LDL - 87 and total cholesterol - 220. Is this bad? 14 hours later
I always thought over 200 for a total cholesterol was something to watch. So mine at 220 is ok?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi Judie,
Thanks for writing back.
The total cholesterol does not matter - it is the individual components, that count... HDL is good - protects from heart attack - more the merrier! LDL (non-HDL) is bad - less is better. Ideal value of LDL is less than 100 - in your case, it is 87 only. It is OK. Don't worry

Good luck