Have Vitiligo below lips. Planning for second pregnancy, will my baby be affected by Vitiligo?

hi, im 29yrs old female and has got 5yrs old daughter.After 1st delivery(normal) I have got vitiligo below my lips and since 5years its not spreaded and also has got thyroid with TSH 2.23, under control. Right now can I plan for second pregnancy? if I go for 2nd pregnancy, will the child would also be affected with vitiligo and due to thyroid any problems would baby clear my doubt.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for your health concerns.

Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease, and is rare to manifest at birth. Usually it happens in early adulthood in susceptible families.

Now your child would be at higher risk than the general population; but it is impossible to predict if he or she will be affected at some point in her life.

In terms of thyroid disease, many mothers lead completely normal pregnancies even on thyroid supplementation as long as they remain within normal range for TSH; currently yours is XXXXXXX l but you would need monitoring of TSH at different points during pregnancy

Hope this helps, wish you the best health to you and your children, blessings

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN