Have Vitaligo. On protopic ointment. Felt face hot and flushed. Have fever. Side effect of ointment?

I found out I have vitaligo a couple of days ago from my dermatologist. She started me on protopic ointment .1%, which I used for the first time last night. This morning and all day when I woke up, my face felt hot and flushed like I had a fever or sunburn. I checked my temperature, and it was normal. Is this a normal side effect of this ointment?
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for the query,
Protopic is tacrolimus ointment.
Burning or itching is a common side effect of this ointment.

To avoid this side effect we advice the use of this ointment on alternate nights.
On the other night a steroid cream like fluticasone should be applied.

This combination gives better result and also controls the adverse effect of protopic.

Ask your doctor regarding start of fluticasone.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thank you