Ask a Urologist   »  

Have UTI, bladder infections and IBS. Taking azo for relief. Any side effect for long use of azo?

Can Azo make me sick??I get frequent UTIs and bladder infections and often take Azo for relief from pain and urgency. This particular time I took it for 10 days, much longer than I've ever taken it before and longer than the recommend 2 days. On the 10th day I felt very sick to my stomach, feeling bloated, nauseated, and occasionally feeling a burning feeling as though my insides were trying to rip apart from each other. I have IBS which can give me the burning, ripping apart feeling, and I thought the other was a bug, but after I began feeling better I ate and took an Azo and the stomach problems began again, at which time I realized how long I had been taking it. I have antibiotic now and the pain has decreased, just not fully gone away. I have noticed in the past a sensitivity to Azo where my stomach has been upset if I don't eat a full meal when I take it. I am just wondering if I have anything to worry about with the stomach pain and prolonged use of Azo. I just moved to a new town and have a 2 & a 3 year old, so I would like to avoid going to a Dr if I can.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
Yes azo can cause abdominal pain.

You can take otc prilosec for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more question, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini