Ask a Urologist   »  

Have UTI and drinking a lot of water. What medication should be done?

May 2013

I have got urinary tract infection, symptoms of pain and burning sensations while urinating,pain in lower abdomen, regular off white discharge.
I am in iceland at the moment and its very difficult to get an appointment with a specialist.
I have been drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice but it has not been much of a help.
I also have this oral ointment with an applicator ( Gyno mikozal ) miconazole nitrate from my past treatment, used it twice before sleep but no relief.

Kindly suggest if I can take a medication or get some other ointment that can be more effective.

Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

When urinary tract infection is not getting controlled with water intake etc better to go for antibiotic therapy.
Ideal thing is getting the culture and sensitivity of the urine and then taking the antibiotic.
When the facilities are not available broad spectrum antibiotics like cephalosporin group drugs or septran etc can be preferred, which can possibly help in curing the infection.
Along with that urine alkalisers like citralka will help in decreasing the burning sensation and pain during micturition.
This antibiotics will also help in decreasing the white discharge.
Along with this continue taking at least 3 liters of water daily and nutritious diet.
If these won't help better to consult doctor and get urine culture and sensitivity done.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.