Have UTI. Taking bactrim generic. Why does it still burning while I urinate? Will treatment for yeast infection help?

Question
I have a uti , am taking bactrim generic . I still have burning when I urinate and now I have small bumps all over my labia outside only. It is extremely inflamed. I used a antifugal cream that can with an otc treatment for yeast infection and the help with the inflamation. Could the bactrim or the uti infection be the cause of all this problem?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The small bumps all over the labia may not be related to the UTI or bactrim you are having.
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or an infection caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
5) You may apply a steroid based antiseptic cream for symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.