Have UTI. Prescribed SMZ/TMP DS. Having nausea without vomiting, loss of appetite and heartburn. What is this drug? Will it help?

I have a UTI caused by klebsiella pneumoniae. My doctor prescribed SMZ/TMP DS 800-160 - 6 tablets to be taken twice a day for 3 days. What is this drug and will it help? I am also having digestive problems - nausea without vomiting; loss of appetite; heartburn. I've taken a course of Prilosec - didn't work. Should I see a gastroenterologist?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 minutes later

The SMZ/TMP Is actually an antibiotic. This antibiotic is extremely effective in treating recommended by your physician.

Regarding your gastrointestinal symptoms since you're continuing to have nausea. I would recommend that you discuss this with your Prilosec without any improvement a referral to a gastroenterologist is a reasonable consideration.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Dr Galamaga