Have UTI. Developed rashes on chest and burning neck. What could be the possible cause?

My boyfriend seems to have symptoms for both Candida and Porphyria. He had his radial head replaced then 4 days later his neck started to burn, then developed a rash on his chest, etc. Not knowing what this was he continued to go in the sun. He developed a UTI from surgery and was put on antibiotics, then again after developing strep throat twice. Lots of antibiotics. None of this helped his burning neck/sunburn feeling. Now doctor thinks he has candida and is treating him with Nystatin but the burning is getting worse on his neck. Could this be the die-off from the yeast infection or could it be a reaction from the antibiotic again? He seems to have conflicting ailments. Regardless, the photosensitivity has not stopped since July 1. Shouldn't it subside by now? Before the Nystatin (been on that for 1 week), he was on no medications for more than a month with little relief. I hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 10 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
His neck burning sensation can occurs due to multiply factors including cutaneous porphyria, cutaneous candidiasis, increased photosensitivity while taking antibiotics or exaggerate immune response to one of food components. At this stage without properly investigation you can just guess and he need definitely confirmation. Before start treat Candida infection first you need identification of the fungus in laboratory ( K hydroxide wet mounts test). In cutaneous porphyria occurs signs and symptoms similar with his ( after sun exposure appear pain/burning sensation of the skin and can last for hours due to accumulations of porphyrins in the skin) but must be accompanied by skin fragility, lesions, blisters, eruptions( bullous eruptions). Very easy to detect if he will undertake specific blood tests( complete blood count, Liver function test, urine, stool, plasma levels of porphyrins) and then will be more easy start correct treatment. As a general measures avoid sun exposure, iron supplements/vitamins, UVA absorbing sunscreens.
I wish him good luck and speedy recovery.
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.
Best Regards,