Have Total thyroidectomy and damage to parathyroids. Increasingly breathless. Contrast CT scan shows small axillary lymph

I am 53yrs old history of Graves disease / Total thyroidectomy and damage to parathyroids so now take calcium asthma last 25yrs Mother died of emphysema at 63 yrs and brother 55yrs died this XXXXXXX of ruptured bulla I have been increasingly breathless (ex smoker) and have had trouble getting Gp to listen I have been unable to work the last 4 months (midwife) as to breathless spirometry was ok at 80% finaliy had contrast CT scan shows small axillary lymph nodes reactive inflammatory aetiology .mild chronic scarring in the posterior left upper lobe and middle lobe everything else ok no evidence of interstitial lung disease or bronchiectatis .Is this the start of pulmonary fibrosis (ipf ) ? Thankyou
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May not be IPF.breathing exercise.Antibibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX, Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understand your concern.

Keeping in mind the history of smoking and asthma the mild chronic scaring may be due to any healed infection in the past.
Because of asthma the bronchioles constrict and also there is chronic inflammation in the airway associated with infections. So the probable causes are healed infection in past and smoking.

The lymph nodes are small and reactive suggests any infection. You may require a course of broad spectrum antibiotic for its management. So consult your doctor to put you on antibiotic.

Since the scarring lesion is mild and your spirometry test is OK at 80%, I advice you not to worry and do regular breathing exercises for 30 - 45 minutes a day, pranayama will be good. Do regular followup with your doctor to monitor the lung functions and scarring.

Continue fostair BD, montelukast nocte, levothyroxine, adcal and one alpha. Ventolin should be taken only if required due to breathlessness or else not required to take on regular basis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.
Wish you a very happy life and good health.

Follow-up: Have Total thyroidectomy and damage to parathyroids. Increasingly breathless. Contrast CT scan shows small axillary lymph 32 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I wish you a very good health.