Have Thallesemia Minor. Triglycerides and Cholesterol out of control. Having severe MGD problem in eyes. Applying Ocupol D. Suggestions?

Pediatrician
Question
I exercise 60 minutes a day since last 12 months. I have Thallesemia Minor and my haemoglobin never goes above 11.90. My Triglycerides and Cholesterol have always been out of control since last 6 years (since 2007 when I was 36 years old). I am 42 years old and my weight is around 79 Kgs. I am very muscular but i have a fatty abdomen.

My latest report is as follows
Total Cholestrol =188 mg/dl
Triglycerides=213 mg/dl
HDL Cholestrol =34
LDL Cholestrol=111
VLDL Cholestol =42.60
Non HDL Cholestrol=154
My father has angina and CVD since the age of 38. He has undergone two stent operations.
My current HbAIc=5
I got my Lipid profile done today (July 29, 2013) because lately I am having severe MGD problem in eyes (Mebobitis) for which i am applying Ocupol D in eye for 7 days. Hot compressions, lid hygine, massage etc. I also have sever Seborrhea dermatitis since 1993.
I had taken Tonact TG 2 years back but left it after my TG came in control. But taking TG impacted my LFT.
My latest LFT and KFT are normal. Latest implies 2 months back. The Lipid profile is dated today. July 29.

Please advise.

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 4 hours later

Welcome to health care magic.

Dear friend your fresh lipid profile report is not much deranged except some).

According to the age is some what towards normal .
Your triglycerides are towards little higher side.
Your weight is according to age is towards obesity.

Hemoglobin considering the Thallessemia minor is pretty good , we do not expect higher than this.

Dietary and physical activity advises are important for you.

I would like to advice you to continue the physical exercise as you are doing.
Brisk walking will be the best exercise or treadmill walk.
Avoid lifts. Avoid prolonged chair sitting jobs.

Diet should always be toward vegetarian side.
Avoid sweets, milk products, snacks.
In between lunch and dinner snacking is quite injurious.
Do not skip Breakfast. lunch or dinner.
Do not over eat, keep your stomach little empty.
If you feel hungry in between meals then always go for salads, fruits.
Try to take early dinner. Avoid late night dinner.
Total calories taken per day should be less than the calories required per day.

Some Statins and Finofibrate to be continued as therapeutically and prophylactic XXXXXXX ,both will try to keep the lipid profile towards normal range.
Liver function monitoring is important along with these drugs.

Hope your query is answered.

Please feel free for further clarification.

Thanks

Follow-up: Have Thallesemia Minor. Triglycerides and Cholesterol out of control. Having severe MGD problem in eyes. Applying Ocupol D. Suggestions? 7 hours later
Dear Dr Thanks.

1. Is my high lipid profile the reason for my Mebobitis and high dandruff in my hair .

I have started taking TONACT TG 10 MG.

Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 34 minutes later
Hi Dear

Mebobitis and high dandruff are not at all related with your lipid profile.

Ketoconzole shampooing regularly for some weeks will help in reducing this condition.

Hope your query is answered. Please feel free for more clarification.

Thanks

Dear Dr Irshad,

For Mebobitis :-

1) I am taking hot compressions, lid message for expressing oil and lid cleaning with XXXXXXX baby shampoo. I do this twice a day
2) Taking Oral doxycyclin 100 mg for 3 months
3) Eating Omega 3 capsules
4) Using Cyclosporin .05% twice a day.
5) Alcon-for AED -It also contains lipid restoration element

I also use the medicated anti dandruff shampoos and dipgenta for dry nasal areas. This has controlled my blepharitis largely but mebobitis has not been going away. I have also tried Ciplox D, Neosporin H for mebobitis.

Is Mebobitis/Ocular Surface Disorder curable permanently ?

Is Blepheroplasty advisable to solve chronic Mebobitis patients such as me ?

I get the foreign body sensation when i get up in the morning and again in the night time. Its very irritating.

Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You are already taking antibiotic doxy for 3 months and it is not resolving. It means it has become like antibioma.

So in my opinion the surgical intervention will give some positive results.

Lid massages, cleansing, hot compression etc should be continued.

Ketoconazole shampooing for at least 10 minutes should be done twice weekly. and after that hairs to be washed by only clear water. not by soaps.

Some oral antifungal medicines can be tried along with shampooing like fluconazole weekly.

Hope this will make your chronic problem little better.

Thanks,