Have Thalassemia Minor. Will it pass on to child?

I have Thalassemia Minor. I want to know that If i plan for family then same problem will be in baby or not??
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
I am glad you asked this question. Thal minor usually does not cause any problem to the person carrying it but if two persons carrying this have children, then there is a 1 in 4 chance of the baby being born with thal major, which is a serious disease.
Hence, before having a child, your partner should be screened for thal minor. If she is not a carrier, then you can have a child. The child may become a carrier, but again that is usually not a problem.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.