Ask a Dentist   »  

Have TMJ and bruxism. Why am I getting pain and twitching sensation in cheek?

Dec 2012

What causes face to ache and cheek muscles to shake when I hold air in my mouth. I had a normal mri and 2 Emgs. I do have tmj and bruxiusm. Any suggestions why. Face muscles shake only when stretched.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 25 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well the answer to your first question is quite simple, because if you are having TMJ it would be responsible for your face ache, cheek muscles twitching and bruxism. Your bruxism could be normal as it is a habit that occurs in most people but it becomes problematic when it causes sleep disorders. Your TMJ should be treated first by using the following
- Restoration of the occlusal surfaces of the teeth
- Occlusal splints (also called night guards or mouth guards) reduce nighttime clenching in some patients, while increasing clenching activity in other patients.
- Nighttime EMG biofeedback (for instance by using a biofeedback headband or biofeedback device) can be used to reduce bruxism and thus reduce or eliminate the ongoing nightly cycle of damage that contributes to the majority of TMJ disorder symptoms. This treatment is non-invasive.
- Pain relief should constitute using of antineuralgic medications instead of common analgesia like paracetamol or ibuprofen. Antineuralgic drugs could be tricyclic antidepressants like amytriptilline, or carbamazepine etc.

You will need to consult with a maxillo-facial surgeon or dental surgeon for the management of your condition.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: Have TMJ and bruxism. Why am I getting pain and twitching sensation in cheek? 2 hours later
Because I had muscle twitching through out body, they sent me to neurologist and they did a lower and upper and toungue emg, all were normal. He said it was very unlikely to have such symtoms with a normal emg and have something like als or ms. He said if I were have twitches and muscle shaking due to one of those motor disease something would be subnormal on emg by this time. Does that seem correct. So I guess bruxiusm could be the cause even of shaky muscles when stretched in face? Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 minutes later
Thanks for updating.

It is possible that at the beginning of ALS or MS that nothing is detected on MRI or other tests. So successive testing need to be done to show progressive demyelination before we can conclude on ALS or MS. Still i feel that your TMJ is responsible for your symptoms (+ bruxism). Baseline focus of your doctor (s) is to establish an ALS or MS then they have to continue check-ups with successive MRIs.
Treatment of TMJ should be put into place by a dental surgeon. When that is under control further testing to determine ALS or MS.

Hope this helps
Dr Nsah