Have TB in large intestine. Prescribed Rcinex, Ethambutol, Oflin and Benadon. Are the medicines good?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my father has been diagnosed with TB in large intestine today and doctor has prescribed below medicines.. I just want to confirm if the medicines are good. I have been reading about these medicines from last few hours.
Doc said that TB is detected a yr late so I guess thats why dosages r high. My father lost appetite 20 days ago and since then he has not been eating has lost approx 9 kgs.
R-CINEX 900MG(600 +300)
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Yes the antitubercular treatment for intestinal tuberculosis usually is a 6-9 month course of antitubercular drugs like isoniazid , rifampin , pyrazinamide and ethambutol of which first two months are intensive phase treatment with all drugs and later on continuation phase with mainly isoniazid and rifampin .
The drug Rcinex is a combined capsule and contains 600 mg of rifampin and 300 mg of isoniazid . The doses for all the medicines listed are appropriate as dose depends on weight and clinical severity of illness.
Benadon Contains pyridoxine which is a vitamin given along with antitubercular treatment to minimize the sideffects .
Oflin containing ofloxacin is usually not a first line antitubercular drug but is an effective antibiotic against intestinal infection.
However in resistant cases or special conditions it is a second line treatment used for intestinal tuberculosis .
Since your father is a diabetic , smoker and alcoholic his immunity must be quite compromised causing him to catch the tuberculosis infection.
The weight loss and loss of appetite are a known feature of tuberculosis and will resolve within months of starting the treatment.
However for the faster recovery you should maintain his blood sugar in control as per his doctors advise , avoid smoking and alcohol and start him on a nutritious diet XXXXXXX in fruits vegetables , milk etc.

The medications listed do have many sideffects like any other brand of antitubercular drugs for eg stomach upset, liver toxicity , joint pains , red urine etc but the benefit of treating tuberculosis weighs much more than the risk of minor sideffects.
Hence please do not miss any dose or stop treatment without your doctors advice .
In case your father has intolerable sideffects like vomiting rash , vision disturbances etc then consult his doctor promptly for supportive treatment of the same .

Please do not worry , Tuberculosis is a completely curable illness if appropriate treatment is completed successfully as per doctors advice.
Hope your father has a speedy recovery.
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.