Have Rheumatoid Arthritis, ankles are sore swollen and pain radiating to calf. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and my ankles are sore swollen and the pain is radiating into my calf. What could cause that?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following could be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

It could be due to flare of rheumatoid arthritis or due to some inflammation in joint.It could be due to increase serum uric acid level.
I would suggest you to get yourself examined by an Orthopaedician for ankle joint pain. You would be asked to undergo few blood tests like Hb, RBS, TLC, DLC, ESR, RA factor and CRP . These investigations will help us find out the exact cause.
Meanwhile you can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 400 mg as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.