Have RA. Blood test showed low platelet count. Do drink alcohol. Have US on spleen. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
hi i have rheumatoid arthritis i was with my consultant today he looked at my blood tests and he said my playtets were low im 63yrs and only learning to e mail so bear with me. I do have a few drinks every night so i play cards and have a good social life would that be the cause. I didnt tell him that. I have to have an ultrasound on my spleen tomorrow im very worried
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Spleen scan would be a routine investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There are a number of possible causes of your low platelets that I can suggest.
Both rheumatoid arthritis and lupus can cause low platelets as these are autoimmune diseases which means the body destroys its platelets. Some medications can also cause low platelets. These include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen. Methotrexate is a medication that some people take for rheumatoid arthritis and this can also lower platelets. You have not listed which medicines you take, if any, for your ailments so I am mentioning these in case you take them.
Your drinking would not be the most likely cause so don't worry to much about that.
The spleen is sometimes enlarged when platelets are low so I assume the scan is to check the size and would be a routine investigation at this stage.
I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,