Have Psoriasis on legs and arms. Have itching. Help?

Dec 2013

Hi Doctor,
I have Psoriasis on my legs and arms and recently it is itching and bothering me a lot. Need help to handle it.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do good moisturization with antihistamines

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for psoriasis and am empathetic to the suffering from last 18 years.

I have gone through the pictures sent by you and can make out that the things are really not well. Especially I can see the excoriation marks over the leg and foot area with lot of thickening of skin. All this is because of severe itching in yourself.

As you have psoriasis from last 18 years so I think you must be knowing much about the problem. But even then let me again help you out in understanding the disease.

Psoriasis occurs because of faster renewal of skin. Generally it takes 28 days but in yourself it takes 4-5 days. We are still finding out the exact cause of it.

Now the most important part in preventing the disease as well as itching is by the prevention of scaling or dryness. If you an prevent dryness you can combat half of the disease.

So the moisturization needs special emphasis in this. You must have taken treatment from different doctors and many of them must have told you the best regarding the same. Let me add more to it. This not only keeps the disease process checked but also helps in reducing the itching too.

Take a bucket half filled with water. Pour half tea spoon of table salt in it. Dip your legs or affected areas for about 15-20 minutes and rinse it well. After that you apply a good moisturizing cream of simple petrolatum gelly. Do it for 2-3 times a day. Other than the saline compression you can apply the moisturizing cream for 8-10 times over the affected areas.

other than that you can apply Clobetasol cream for two times in day. You can also take a good antihistamine for itching such as Levocetrizine or Loratadine for 2-3 times in day.

Don't scratch any area as it can lead to further aggravation of the problem.

I hope these informations will help you. If you have any other queries I will be happy to help.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD Dermatology