Have Periodic limb movement disorder and Restless Leg Syndrome. Tried natural remedies but no help. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I have PLMD or PLMS. What can I do for it?
I have tried a cure for RLS and there were no changes after more than a year. I have also tried a remedy called LegCalm from Natural Remedies, with little resuts so far.

Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PLMD

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to XXXXXXX

PLMD or periodic limb movement disorder is related to restless leg syndrome. A lot of studies relate these disorders to Parkinson's disease but the two are different. Before taking specific treatment I would advise you to get your BP checked to rule out hypertension. Also get your ECG and cardiac check up done. If every thing come normal then we will proceed to next step.

Restless legs may occur due to deficiencies of Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E. I would advise you to take Vitamin E soft gels and Vitamin B12 tablets. Wait for about 4 weeks and if condition improves then continue taking these drugs for next 2 months.

If condition fails to improve then medicines like pregabalin, ropinirol, gabapentin can be used. These medicines are free of serious side effects and with good results.

Medicines like ramelteon which improve sleep cycle also improve the condition.

Hope I cleared your doubt if you have more questions you can ask again.

Thanks

Follow-up: Have Periodic limb movement disorder and Restless Leg Syndrome. Tried natural remedies but no help. Suggest? 6 hours later
Dr Bishoni:
I have taken 15,000 MG of Vitamin B12 for over a year and I still have the problem. I am takeing vitamin e. I have had suggestions to get up and walk around for relief. I walked about 2/3 of a mile last night with some relief. Are the medicines mentioned prescription or OTC?
The Vitamin b12 was part of a cure for RLS from XXXXXXX Goodwin who claims to cure RLS.
I got your text messages. I could not decide what you wanted.
I took my BP this AM. 119/67/pulse of 59. Do you still think I need to get a complete physical?
My phone is not compatable with any of the iphone ect. aps. I have a Jitterbug from WWW.WWWW.WW

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to get a physical check up

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome again

I have read your follow up question and I can understand your problem. You have already taken enough Vitamin B12 so most likely your levels will come in normal range so there is no need to take Vitamins. Your BP and pulse rate is also in normal range so there is no need to get complete physical check up. The medicines I have mentioned are not OTC and they should be taken under proper prescription only.
Ropinirol is a good drug with proven results in various studies and it has very less side effects. Doses of 1-4 mg are usually given in patients of PLMD, I would advise you to please consult a good Psychiatrist/Neurologist for proper dosing of drug.

Take omega 3 soft gels and they will improve your condition, these are available OTC.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.
Thanks