Have Parkinson's disease. Taking Azilect. Can I improve by taking carb-levo pills? Suggest?

Nov 2013

I am a bluegrass guitar player. I have Parkinson's which mainly affects my right side. At one point I was taking both Azilect as well as carb-levo, but I dropped the carb-levo because of side effects. Azilect is now the only thing I take now on a regular basis. Normally, when I first take the stage my right hand trembles and will not work to play the guitar. I can sing, but I have depend on other musicians to do the instrumental work. It gets better as I continue to try to play other songs. Question: Can I improve my performance by taking one or more carb-levo pills before going on stage? If so, how long before taking the stage should I take each pill?
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take carb-levo 30-45 minutes before.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you have side effects with carb-levo, and you are unable to take it. However, if the side effects are minor, you can take it about 30-45 minutes before going on stage. The effect of this drug begins in about 30 minutes, and peaks by one hour. The effect may remain for 2-4 hours.

Other alternative drugs that could reduce tremors are pramipexole and trihexiphenidyl. If you have not tried them, you could try them one by one, and then see, whether they help reduce your tremors or not. Also, they have lesser side effects.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Have Parkinson's disease. Taking Azilect. Can I improve by taking carb-levo pills? Suggest? 14 hours later
Can I take two carb-levo tablets at the same time? like 45 minutes before going on stage? (The tablets I now have on hand are labeled CARB-LEVO 25-100MG TAB ACT .)
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two would be safe

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

In my opinion, one would be sufficient, however, if needed, two carb-levo would be safe too.

The dose depends on the efficacy and your symptom improvement. You can do a small experiment, take one tablet and see, whether it makes you feel normal. If not fully normal with one tablet, then, you can take two tablets at the same time.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)