Have Parkinsons and knee replacement surgery. Have pain and foot problem with horse step. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have an issue with Parkinsons (I have a DBS] and knee replacement surgery that is still very painful and a foot problem (bunions] that also had a horse step on it and I want to walk so much better than I do now.

I will work online tomorrow as I am fatigued now
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later

It seems that you are not able to walk properly due to your knee pain, foot deformity and motor symptoms related to parkinson's.

Before proceed further I would like some more details.

*Are you taking any medication for parkinson's?
*Had you consulted an orthopaedician before about bunion and horse stepped foot and took any treatment for these?
*Pain after knee replacement is continous or you developed this after one year of replacement.

There is a feature to upload the images, xrays and reports. Please utilize that so that I can help you in better ways.

Awaiting your reply...

Regards.

Follow-up: Have Parkinsons and knee replacement surgery. Have pain and foot problem with horse step. Suggest? 8 hours later
Should I request a second opinion?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi, There is no harm to take a second opinion.
If you feel to take second opinion, go for it.

Let me know if you have any further query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have Parkinsons and knee replacement surgery. Have pain and foot problem with horse step. Suggest? 23 hours later
I had a question and was working with Dr. XXXXXXX Somewhere in time I lost him

Hi, I am available here to answer your queries.
Please post your further queries if you have so that I can help you.
You can also contact me directly through my profile.

Follow-up: Have Parkinsons and knee replacement surgery. Have pain and foot problem with horse step. Suggest? 21 hours later
Sorry some times the Parkinson's makes me a little slow. My question for you 2 days ago had a lot of things in it so I will today stick just to my knee replacement. My pain is not so much arthritic aching as it is a very sharp pain. It happens when going down stairs .or extending knee for driving. I have excellent range of motion My knee is 1 year post op. It sometimes will be quite painful on the medial side and into the fibular part. Prior to this it was totally painful on the lateral side. I would like to know if it is possible to have the "glue" and thus the implant loose causing pain. I have x-rays and they only show a possible osteolysis on the tibial end now I am taking Fosomax. My knee makes a noticible clunking sound when walking and it clumps when sitting and moving my leg side to side. It often feels like it will go out on me, but it has not yet gone out. I have original MRI from 3 yrs ago and radiologists comments, and surgical reports from both the transplant and the original meniscotomy done 3 years ago. Any new suggestions or should I just wait it out until my next appointment with my Dr. in 3 months.?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 hours later

After knee replacement, implant surfaces may wear down and the components may loosen. It is possible to have surface wear and implant loosening causing pain.

I suggest you to get a new xray of knee done and follow-up with the surgeon who performed your surgery. He or she can do an orthopedic evaluation of your entire joint to evaluate not only the implant but also the other ligaments, muscles, and bones that help stabilize the knee.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Regards.