Have Parkinson disease and GERD. Take Madopar and Nexium. Is it safe to have anaesthesia and operation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have Parkinson disease and GERD .I take Madopar and Nexium. Is it safe to have a general anaesthetic and an operation?
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 45 minutes later
Hi. You didnt mention what kind of operation you are having,but nexium has no effect on anasthesia. On the other side, Madopar should be discontinued 12-48 hrs before surgical intervention requiring general anesthesia and it can be continued 1 day after it. SO inform your doctor about medicines than you are taking. WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards

Follow-up: Have Parkinson disease and GERD. Take Madopar and Nexium. Is it safe to have anaesthesia and operation? 13 hours later
Thank you for your excellent advice. I am considering an operation for acid reflux which is a major operation .I don't have much ofa tremor now . Do Parkinsonian patients have a tremor during the operation? Also I have a Rodent ulcer which is to be operated on by a plastic surgeon

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 hours later
Hi.
If this is nissen fundoplasty then it is medium procedure which can be done even laparoscopically. There is no tremor during general anashesia since neural connections are inhibited so you dont have to worry about it.
Rodent ulcer can be removed under regional or local anashesia and tremor shouldnt be problem too. Also, if it can be organised you can have both procedures under one general anasthesia so ask your surgeons about it. WIsh you good luck. Regards