Have Parkinson Disease, recovering from fractured hip. Arm started feeling numb. Suggest?

I am a 72 year old female, with Parkinson Disease. I am recovering from a fractured hip.

Yesterday, my right arm started feeling numb. I am not able to hold a utensil now, or feed myself. I can't pick up a water glass unless I use both hands. What is your diagnosis?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

From the history of healing from a fractured hip, I suppose you have limited mobility. This predisposes to the formation of blood clots in your blood vessels.
This associated with the onset of motor and sensory deficit of your right hand, it is highly suggestive of STROKE resulting from a clot that has traveled and lodged in the brain.Were you put on blood thinners?

Please, I will suggest that you make an emergency visit to the hospital to get these symptoms investigated and appropriate treatment offered. It can make a huge difference in terms of outcome.

Hope this addresses your query fully. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask them. I will gladly provide answers but the immediate and most important thing to do now is to go to the hospital before these symptoms become even worse to involve other parts of the body.

I wish you well and a rapid management and best of outcomes with this condition.
Hope to get a follow up updates from you.
Dr. Ditah, MD.