Have POTS syndrome and autoimmune (positive ANA) with NO autoantibodies showing. Feel hard to breath when walking. What to do?

How do I know if its just anxiety or underlying Lung issue? for the past 3 weeks every time I walk I feel like I have to breath stronger and get short of breath easier. Just doing daily tasks. I am 27 and suffer from High Anxiety and hypochondria ; all after a traumatic life experience. I have P.O.T.S syndrome (autoimmune (positive ANA) with NO autoantibodies showing.

I have had NORMAL CBC, BMP, had a pulse ox 3 weeks ago 100% and normal chest xray. I can do the recumbent bike at the rec just fine; but when I walk I feel its hard to breath...

I seem to hold my breath sometimes without knowing and breath thru my chest...... I don't know whats going on but its making me MORE anxious.

Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Dear madam,

Thank you for posting your query .

Well looking into your problem i see that you are concerned about the issue that you feel dyspnoeic after walking and you want to ascertain whether it is anxiety or anything else.

You have written that you have got normal chest x XXXXXXX , normal saturation on pulse oxymeter that makes the possibilty of any lung disease extremely less.

Still you can go for pulmonary function tests to determine any pathology. One thing is you should get an ECG and 2 D ECHO done for your cardiac evaluation because sometimes cardiac problems can give rise to respiratory difficulty while walking.

Since you dont get any problem while recumbent cycling it is likely that everything will be normal . Dont worry and get yourself evaluated.

Dr Shruti
Follow-up: Have POTS syndrome and autoimmune (positive ANA) with NO autoantibodies showing. Feel hard to breath when walking. What to do? 2 hours later
THanks due to the POTS . I had a stress echo 7 months ago and a regular echo 2 months ago. I get ekg's all the time at the cardiologist thanks ... are there any breathing exercises I can do to help with this anxiety when I stand my throat seems to get slightly right chest just SLIGHTLY tight and when I walk is when I feel even more short of breath. . .
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 hours later

Since your cardiac evaluation is fine I don't think there is any need to worry.

Yes, I advise you to practice yoga breathing exercises like anulom vilom etc. Relaxation techniques such as soft music, morning walks, regular sleep and personal hobbies will also relieve your ongoing stress. If needed, you can consult a psychologist to discuss your problems and act accordingly.

Dr Shruti