Have PCOS, multiple follicles. How to be sure if I ovulate and can get naturally pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am 37 have mild pcos how can I be sure I ovulate every month. I have a regular 28/29 day cycle. A scan shows I have multiple small follicles. Should I get pregnant naturally?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later

All women with poly cystic ovary syndrome may not have anovulation.
As you are having regular periods there is possibility of ovulation.
In case of regular 28 to 29 days cycles usually ovulation can occur on around 14th or 15th day of the cycle.
Ovulation can be tracked by different measures like cervical mucus method, pregnancy.
If there is any problem in ovulation, you can use ovulation induction drugs with your doctor's advice.
Along with this you can use tablets like insulin sensitizers if your doctor prescribed and that will help in correcting the symptoms of PCOS.
And maintaining ideal weight to height helps in curing PCOS.
By following these measures getting pregnancy by natural way is possible.

Hope I have answered the query. I will be available to answer your followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer please give your review.

Follow-up: Have PCOS, multiple follicles. How to be sure if I ovulate and can get naturally pregnant? 4 minutes later
Clearblue fertility monitor shows ovulation so should I conceive naturally

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 hours later
Yes. As there is evidence of ovulation, if you plan unprotected intercourse around the period of ovulation there is possibility of pregnancy.
The other requirements for successful conception are:
-Your husband should have normal seminal parameters.
-Your fallopian tubes should be patent.
-Normal hormonal levels that are needed for conception and maintenance of pregnancy etc.
So you continue checkups with your doctor and follow her advice for successful conception.

Husband wont have semen test. All my blood work is fine x
My husband does have children so he should be fine x

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later
hi,
Yes, as your husband is having children he may be having normal seminal parameters. But sometimes lifestyle modifications like smoking, alcoholism etc. can affect seminal parameters. So if you fail to conceive in one or two months, better to go for seminal analysis once.

Follow-up: Have PCOS, multiple follicles. How to be sure if I ovulate and can get naturally pregnant? 15 hours later
If clearblue fertility monitor shows ovulation does this mean I ovulate and I should be able to conceive naturally?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
Usually the fertility monitor shows the positive line when the levels of lutenizing hormone increases in blood.
And this occurs before ovulation.
So positive line in fertility monitor usually indicates ovulation.
If you plan unprotected intercourse around that period possibility of pregnancy is there.
But as I told previously possibility of conception depends on many other factors also which I mentioned in previous answers.