Have PCOS and high level testosterone. On diet and regular exercise. Smoking or contraceptive pills be the cause?

Mar 2013
Am 28 , unmarried.. and have PCOS and high levels of testosterone. Am on a diet and regular exercise as told.
My Questions are:
Could Smoking Cigarettes and Cannibus be a cause in this?
Can taking emergency contraceptive pills in the past be a cause?
How can i reverse it?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
PCOS is a condition where the ovary is studded with multiple follicles, but none of them develop into a mature follicle each month.
Hence the woman has a problem with both ovulation and regular menstruation and hence, later on, in conception.
This is primarily due to hormonal imbalance, and the cause is unknown.
Smoking cigarettes, cannabis or intake of emergency contraceptives - none of these is known to be a definite cause of PCOS.
It is characterized by high LH, raised testosterone and adrenal hormones, deranged blood sugars etc.
Have a complete hormonal assessment - LH, FSH, Fasting serum insulin, glucose tolerance test, lipid profile, adrenal hormones.
Consult an endocrinologist and consider metformin and other drugs for treatment.
Weight loss and lifestyle management is the cornerstone of therapy.
You might need help of drugs like Clomiphene if you plan conception.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Have PCOS and high level testosterone. On diet and regular exercise. Smoking or contraceptive pills be the cause? 12 minutes later
Thank you very much for a prompt reply...

I am seeing a hormone specialist and done a hormonal test...

My Testosterone level is 126.00

DHT Di hydro testosterone : 385.00

Testosterone (Total), serum by CMIA is 126.

Rest is alright except PCOD..

He focused on reducing smoking... loosing weight as the pills he may give may have side effects especially being a smoker and to try this for a month and a half. He has give Fibril to have 2 times a day before meals and loose weight...

Looking for a second opinion

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 59 minutes later
I would ask you to add Metformin and maybe consider anti testosterone hormonal treatment, which would only be recommended by an endocrinologist.
Smoking will definitely help , as it might not directly cause PCOS, but it increases ovarian ageing and will ultimately cause complications.
You seem to be on the right track as far as weight loss and exercise is concerned.
take care.