Have PCOS. Undergone several IVF. Started spotting, passing dark brown blood. What could this be?

I have PCOS and until This past December, I haven't had a period on my own in 10 years. I have did invitro several times without success and gave up. When my period started in December my doctor said that may hormones may be leveling out. Well, for the next three months, I didn't have another period. A couple of days ago, I started spotting dark brown, blackish blood. What is this? Of course my husband and I aren't using protection bc we thought we couldn't get pregnant. What could the problem be?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Normally when a woman sees dark brown blood it presents old blood that is coming out of the uterus.
It could represent old menstrual blood or implanation bleeding.

The delay or irregularity in your periods could be due to PCOS which as you would know can do this or be as a result of pregnancy. There are other causes of irregular periods but most likely your doctor would have ruled these out already.

You may want to consider doing a pregnancy test. The home tests are usually very accurate, you can choose an early detection kit because these can detect lower levels of HCG, the hormone found in the urine in pregnancy.
The option also exists to do a blood HCG but this would require your doctor doing a blood test.

If the test is negative then the blood represents old menstrual blood that was within the uterus,it is not harmful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions