Have PCOS. Trying to conceive. Taking novelon to control FSH level. Missing period. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

Hi,I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I am trying to conceive for the past 4 months and also undergoing treatment. My gynac took blood test and my FSH level was high. She gave Novelon to bring down the fsh level. Then she put me on enphene 50mg and did follicle study. From 17th day she gave me duphaston as the follicle size is very small. Now my periods is 15 days due. My last period date was 2nd XXXXXXX 2013.Took three hpts on 2nd day and 14th day of my missed period. But the results are negative. I have early pregnancy symptoms like back pain, white discharge. Am I pregnant or have anyother problem?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem in simple manner.

According to your history & pregnancy test result, you are not likely pregnant. Though, you can confirm or exclude pregnancy with blood test for beta HCG level.

Pregnancy is possible only, if unprotected sexual intercourse is done around ovulation time in regular period. Ovulation occurs approx 14 days before due date. Having PCOS (most common) can hamper regular ovulation and leading to anovulatory delayed period.

Therefore, you should continue above prescribed medication for at least 3-6 cycles to get effective result as per your doctor's recommendation. In addition, ovulation prediction kit is quite helpful to predict ovulation and you shall prepare for that day for unprotected sex. You do the same thing for at least 6 months to 1 year to give the natural process a chance. Also monitoring of ovulation is needed by means of Day 21 progesterone level assay or serial ultrasound on day 12-16 for follicle measurement. Vitamin E, Zinc and folic acid supplements are very much helpful in improving fertility.

Other associated factors with PCOS for delayed period (15 days due) are stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, hypothyroidism, psychological cause, etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of some other tests such as monitoring of LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, thyroid profile, blood sugar, blood prolactin & testosterone level etc.

White discharge & back pain are quite common in some women before commencing period. If discharge has no bad smell/ itching, then you have nothing to worry. Maintenance of genital hygiene is the key to get rid of this.

Proper treatment depends on underlying causative factor. Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist regarding this for proper guideline through tests & suggestive measures.

In the interim, the following measures can be helpful:

1) Control body weight by regular physical exercise by jogging/ running/ treadmill or you may join into XXXXXXX for daily work out.
2) Take healthy diet with iron supplements with avoidance of junk/ fatty/fast food.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Avoid stress by doing yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times at a time)
5) Maintain personal hygiene and need adequate sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.