Have PCOS. Trying to conceive. Should I take any medicine to ovulate?

Its the first day of my menstruation, my husband and i are trying to conceive for months now. i have PCOS and i am 24yrs old. is there something i should take to ovulate in the coming days and hopefully conceive? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

PCOD is a condition that affects the majority of women in the reproductive age with a hormonal imbalance. Natural conception is possible in this condition, though the chances are very less as natural ovulation is irregular, if at all.

So, it is always better to go for induction of ovulation after completing the prior work up that includes a complete physical examination, complete hormonal profile including a Glucose tolerance test, thyroid profile, Anti-Mullerian hormone levels to check for ovarian reserve, DHEAS levels, anti-sperm antibodies, cervical factor, tubal patency and uterine response to hormones. Male factor should also be simultaneously assessed.

After the completion of the workup, sometimes priming may be done with low doses of dexamethasone before going for induction. Clomiphene is the drug of choice for induction of ovulation in PCOD. It can be given for a maximum of 6 months and the overall success rate is around 30-40%. Majority of the people conceive within the first month. The induction may be followed by follicular study, timed intercourse and injections to accelerate ovulation and drugs to thicken the endometrium if it is not considered adequate for implantation.

You should consult an infertility specialist and take advice. As you are already on Metformin, you may continue taking that as it helps to accelerate ovulation and maintenance of pregnancy.

Maintain a healthy body weight in the BMI range of 19-25 and do some regular daily exercise. Eat healthy and nourishing foods while avoiding fatty fried food.
Reduction of excess body weight is enough to contain the hormonal disturbance in many cases.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to contact me any time. I will be ready to help.

Follow-up: Have PCOS. Trying to conceive. Should I take any medicine to ovulate? 6 minutes later
Thanks for your time. i really appreciate it. Its a big help!
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

You are always welcome. You may come back to me whenever you need help. Remember, PCOD is a condition that responds very well to treatment.

If you do not have any further questions now, you can rate this answer.