Have PCOS. Thyroid, hormonal test normal. Having irregular period. Taking pause. Should I go for DNC?

Mar 2016

I am married since last 16 months.My wife suffers from PCOS(polycystic ovary syndrome) disorder and has her menstrual cycle normally at a period ranging 60-90 days. She has tested her thyroid and other hormonal balance and reports are very normal. She got her period last time on 20th Feb which was after 90 days and she started bleeding on 8th March(after 16 days) and since then she is bleeding sometimes heavily with lumps and sometimes just spotting . She has taken tablet PAUSE for 6 days but it just reduced the intensity but didn't stop bleeding . A gyanecologist did a pelvic scanning and told us that she has multiple eggs and enough blood lying in that area that she can bleed for another month. and asked us to go for DNC.

My questions are:-

1) What should she do now to stop bleeding as we don't want to go for DNC? Is there a way by taking some medicines?

3) For PCOD , she is taking glycomet SR 1000 mg and folic acid and has been asked to exercise. Can these medicines solve her problem?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 42 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve her problem.

1) In this situation, progesterone medication (like Meprate/ Deviry 10 mg) twice daily for 7 days can arrest her bleeding. She may get a withdrawal bleeding within 7-10 days but it is usually less in amount.

In case of failure of above medication, D & C is the best option to treat the same.

In addition, she should take healthy diet with iron supplements, eat more green vegetables & fruits, drink more water/ fluid and maintain genital hygiene properly.

2) For PCOD, she should take birth control pill or hormonal medication (like Krimson-35 or Diane-35) along with above medication for at least 3 months. It is taken as 3 weeks on for 21 tabs regularly and 1 week off to get her period.

When you plan for a pregnancy, above medicine (Krimson-35/ Diane-35) should be stopped. Progesterone medication for 10 days in every cycle may be needed to regularize her period. You need consultation with your gynecologist regarding this.

If medical therapy fails to regularize her period, she may need to undergo laparoscopic method to remove ovarian cyst. It helps in improving fertility with regularization of period.

In addition, daily physical exercise and weight reduction is the key to treat the same.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health & take care of her.

Dr Soumen