Have PCOS. Started with diet plan and exercise. Taking bigomet. From when it will be effective?

Question
Hi I am 43 years old unmarried woman,i am about 87 kgs and my height is 5.7ft .Two months back i was diagnosed with PCOD ,my insulin fasting was 145 mg.The doctor put me on Bigomet500 twice a day.
Kindly advise how many months it takes for the medicen to start working.Also,i have started diet control and yoga to get my weight down.
I month my period cycle is normal 28 days,the next month either i have spotting in between or my periods are delayed.i am really worried kindly help.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 37 minutes later

Good that you have started with diet plan and exercise.
PCOS is known to cause menstrual irregularity. It takes 3 months for Bigomet to show optimal results.
So i suggest you to continue taking biomet 500 twice daily with regular exercise and weight reduction.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask follow up queries.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Have PCOS. Started with diet plan and exercise. Taking bigomet. From when it will be effective? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor,is spotting in between periods a common thing in PCOD,and is feeling low also a symptom thanks.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 45 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.

Yes menstrual irregularities like spotting and mood disturbances are seen in PCOS. I still suggest you to get a complete examination done by your Gynecologist to be more sure.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Have PCOS. Started with diet plan and exercise. Taking bigomet. From when it will be effective? 49 minutes later
Thanks Doc i got a complete check up done by a very XXXXXXX Gynecologist in Dec 2012.My insulin resistance was high 145 mg fasting.She has asked me to loose at least 20 kgs of weight and also to excercise regularly and come back after 6 months.kindly advise.

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 9 minutes later
Your Gynecologist is wright.
You need to reduce your weight. This itself will solve 80% of your problems.

In order to reduce weight , i suggest:
1. Do regular workouts.
2. Keep yourself physically active throughout the day.
3. Eat healthy. more of fruits and vegetables. No fried foods and sweets.
4. Avoid stress.
5. Be positive and motivated.

I'm sure you will definitely reduce and write to me again after loosing weight.
Wish you good luck
regards,
Dr Nilofer