Have PCOS. Ovary test showed multiple follicles with central stroma, thyroid normal. Taking d-met and nacfil. Suggest?

Mar 2016

Hai doc.. I hav pcos I got marriage b4 7 months I'm 20 years old my husband 27 years old.. I hav took ovalution test.. Right ovary measure 3.7*3.4*3.6.. Left ovary 4.1*3.5*3.8.. Both ovary shows multiple follicles with prominent central stroma.. Right 25 follicles.. Left 20 follicles.. Both adnexae appear normal.. No dominant follicles are seen.. Thyroid normal.. Now I'm taking d-met in morning nd night nacfil forte XXXXXXX . I will periods normally 35-50 days my weight 51 nd height 155.. But I will periods for 10days.. Is I'm having any prob to get concive .. Pls answer me doc..
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us on XXXXXXX

PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) is most common endocrine disorder among reproductive age group women. It is associated with hormonal imbalance and impairment of ovulation, leads to irregular delayed period and infertility to some extent. Here, hypothalamus- pituitary-ovarian (HPO) axis is mostly disturbed.

As per ultrasound report, both ovary contain multiple small follicles. However, you have normal thyroid level and normal weight according to height. These are the positive things with you and most crucial in successful conception. You will continue above prescribed medication.

Yes, you will definitely able to conceive. For successful conception, you would follow these suggestions:

1) You need to have a regular cycle with proper ovulation. I handle this type of problem with progesterone pill and ovulation induction drug (like clomephene) to regularize the cycle & correct hormonal problem in most patients. You can take a proper prescription from your doctor.

2) For proper ovulation, you need to undergo serial follicular study or you can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) in the middle of each cycle. To maximize the chance of pregnancy, you should involve in unprotected sex close to ovulation time or fertile days.

3) You have to undergo some other fertility tests if you fail to conceive within 6-12 months of regular sex. These includes husband semen analysis, test for tubal patency and cervical factors, D-21 progesterone hormone assay, blood sugar & prolactin level test etc.

4) You must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Take vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after.

5) Do light exercise for physical fitness and avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation/ yoga. Maintain a healthy life style.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for you. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen