Have PCOS. How soon after starting metformin will I have period?

Infertility Specialist
How soon after starting metformin 1000 mg/day will i begin having a period. My dr put me on it because i have pcos. Its been 3 weeks and i was wondering how long it usually takes to work. Just a side note my insulin levels were 10.1 before starting the metformin. All other hormones were normal.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Progesterone medicines help in getting cycles

Detailed Answer:
Hi, metformin is a drug to lower insulin resistance in women with PCOS. It cannot regulate your cycles. If you have not got cycles still, test for pregnancy. If negative, please visit your doctor for getting progesterone medicines which will help in getting cycles. I hope I answered your query. Please let me know if you have any more queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Have PCOS. How soon after starting metformin will I have period? 4 minutes later
I am looking to get pregnant but my dr said clomid would cause hyperstimulation and cause me to over ovulate. What can i do with pcos to begin getting regular cycles and ovulating
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Change doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi, clomid alone is alone not sufficient to cause hyperstimulation in all women and you can take medicine under monitoring.Your doctor has also not explained about effects of metformin. I suggest, you see another infertility specialist who deals with infertility cases or an IVF centre. Regards
Follow-up: Have PCOS. How soon after starting metformin will I have period? 3 minutes later
Its been hard to find a good infertility specialist. They all seem to say the same thing. "Keep trying" i dont have the money to keep getting ultrasounds. What should i ask my dr for? I feel like if i go in armed with enough knowledge they will listen to me
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, if you have been trying for more than one year and not conceived, means you are eligible for further evaluation of you and your partner. You insist on getting evaluated for the infertility cause. Get relevant tests done. Your present doctor does not seem to be doing great job. Regards