Have PCOS. Having cloudy discharge with some blood from vagina. Any complication?

I have been having a cloudy discharge with some blood from my vagina. I haven't had my period since XXXXXXX 2012. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have never had anything like this before and it is scaring me.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

As you know, PCOS is associated with irregular cycles, and in many cases, absent cycles. This is not normal nor is it healthy. Sometimes this absence of periods is associated with an "overgrowth" of the uterine lining. Long term this can cause problems related to pre-cancerous changes of the uterine lining.

Also, PCOS is associated with diabetes, and diabetes is associated with recurrent vaginal infections. You need:

1. An exam
2. An ultrasound
3. Labs to screen for diabetes
4. Progesterone to "cycle" the uterine lining
5. Screening for a vaginal infection

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.