Have PCOS. Had tubal ligation. Had enlarged bilaterial ovaries. Normal due to PCOS and ovulation?

I have PCOS and was able to have two children without needing any fertility medications. After my last c-section, I had a tubal ligation. I have experienced lower right ovary pain. I had this after my first c-section (2010) as well. Anyways, I had an ultrasound done two weeks ago. I was unaware when I would get my cycle because I am irregular. My report said I had enlarged bilaterial ovaries with multiple cysts most of which are the same size. I also have a trace of fluid in my cul-de-sac. Exactly two weeks later, I started mensturating. I am curious if this is related to enlarged ovaries and fluid in the cul-de-sac. Should I worry that this maybe something serious or does this sound like it is normal due to PCOS and ovulation? When I had an ultrasound done in 2010, it said my ovaries were normal and there was no free fliud in the cul-de-sac. Thank you.

My ovaries were 14ml (left) and 15ml (right) is this very enlarged? or still with in the "normal" range? thank you!

I also am having lower back pain but I am unsure if this is related or if it is my sciatica. Also, I have read about OHSS, and I didnt know if that would apply to me because I am not on or have never been on fertility medications.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
I would be happy to help you with your question.

You do not have OHSS. This is impossible. The appearance of your ovaries is likely related to PCOS. Can you tell me if you are on birth control currently? Did they do a pregnancy test?

Thank you.
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Had tubal ligation. Had enlarged bilaterial ovaries. Normal due to PCOS and ovulation? 2 minutes later
I am not on any birth control. When they tied my tubes, they took pieces of the tubes out. My husband also had a vestectomy. So there shouldnt be any babies. When I went to emergency a little while ago about another reason, they did a urine pregnancy test just from protocal and it was negative.

I am glad that it is not OHSS, is it impossible because I am not on fertility meds?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 28 minutes later
OHSS can only occur in the setting of stimulation with fertility medications.

At the time of your pain was exactly when you were ovulating. Leading up to ovulation, many cysts are created in your ovaries. At the time of ovulation, one cyst gets bigger and releases an egg. Sometimes this is associated with pain and the cyst itself can bleed a little bit into your abdomen. This would explain the timing of the pain, the appearance of fluid in the pelvis and my theory is re-inforced by the fact that you got your period two weeks later.

If the pain persists despite your cycles, and given the comment about your ovaries and the fluid in the pelvis, it might be a good idea to have a repeat ultrasound in about 6-8 weeks to make sure that this is resolved.

I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Have PCOS. Had tubal ligation. Had enlarged bilaterial ovaries. Normal due to PCOS and ovulation? 5 minutes later
Thank you very much! Is 14ml and 15ml still with in the "normal" ovary range? Or are they very large? Is this something to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 minutes later
Usually when we get an ultrasound report, the ovaries are reported in terms of the length and width and the presence of any abnormal cysts. This volume does not sound abnormal given where you were in your cycle.

I hope that this helps and good luck!