Have PCOS. Getting periods while on medicine. Trying to conceive. Looking for suggestion?

hi.This is XXXXXX here. I'm 30 yrs old and I got married 3 years back and looking to conceive however i have PCOS and i only get periods on medication and my doctor suggested me fertility tablet -Fertyl super 150+50 mg from3-7 day and post which i did a follicular study which has multiple follicles of 14mm on the 19 day in right ovary and 9 mm in left ovary.Endometrial thickness is 9mm.My query is when wil my ovualtion take place and is this size enough to conceive and if i had relations on 17th day wil i conceive?Also please confirm till ow many days a sperm is active inside a females body?I'm also taking metformin 500mg twice daily.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for writing to us

Your follicular size is 14 mm in right ovary which is not good enough for the conception.It should be at least 18-20 mm so that it can rupture nicely for the conception.Your endometrial thickness is less as you have not ovulated yet.If you are having relations on 17th day with delayed ovulation then chances of conception are less.It is best to have contact within 48hrs of ovulation.Sperm , when reaches fallopian tubes can live up to 7 days but it's average life is 3-4 days.

I hope your thyroid profile is within normal limits , if not done please get it done.

Once the follicle reaches it's maturity doctor's give inj HCG for its rupture.

PCOD is a treatable condition with Metformin along with lifestyle modification including diet control and exercises.
Surgial treatment for PCOD is called Lap Ovarian Drilling or LOD which gives almost 69% results.

Best wishes and good luck
Any further query is most welcome