Have PCOS. Felt a pebble in my vagina during sex. Experiencing vaginal bleeding since then.Anything serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I am a 26 yr old white female with PCOS. I had sex with my husband Saturday and during it felt a pebble in my vagina. Since then I have experienced vaginal bleeding not related to my period. Do I need to be worried?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

According to your clinical presentation, it is called post coital bleeding (PCB) in medical term. Mild bleeding is quite common in some cases due to local trauma or hymen rupture. It heals up automatically within 2-3 days.

There are some other reasons behind this like

1) CERVICAL- polyp, ectropion or erosion, blunt trauma, cervicitis due to infection, cervical dyplasia or cancer.
2) VAGINAL- vaginitis, either atrophic or invective (by any kind STD).
3) ENDOMETRIAL- polyp, endometriosis, fibroid, carcinoma (in this age group unlikely).

Here, you need to get examined by your gynecologist to confirm the diagnosis. Pelvic examination, vaginal swab test, complete STD panel, pelvic ultrasound, endometrial biopsy following D & C etc may be needed for initial investigation.

Hormonal imbalance is another cause for this type of bleeding if above pathology is excluded. It may coincide following sexual act.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiology. If bleeding is still continued now, you can take tranexamic acid group of drug to arrest bleeding. Along with you should maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself. Take healthy diet with anti oxidant supplement (zinc/ selenium), drink plenty of water, complete avoidance of condom/ chemical cosmetics/ bath products. Avoid all kind of sexual activity till it is resolved fully.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Have PCOS. Felt a pebble in my vagina during sex. Experiencing vaginal bleeding since then.Anything serious? 5 hours later
How do I know when it has been fully resolved?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 37 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

First, you get examined by your gynecologist and if any pathological condition is detected, then you avoid sexual contact till you complete full course of treatment either medical or surgical.

In case of D & C polypectomy (removal of polyp), you should avoid coitus up to 2 weeks. After that, you will follow previously mentioned measures for healthy life style and maintain genital hygiene properly (before & after sexual intercourse).

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen