Have PCOS. 19 weeks pregnant and fetus diagnosed with down syndrome. What should be done?

My wife has PCOS and is 19 weeks along in our first pregnancy. She is 38 and we just received the worst news ever from our Amnio......down syndrome. We have been agonizing for a week over this as we wait for the final genetic breakdown report. We never want to have our children hurt, and the thought that our child may hurt or possibly die from all the medical procedures required. My wife is considering a termination......we are scared of this procedure and would only do it out of love for him even if it means never conceiving again. What are the risks since her ob/gyn can't do this through the hospital?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 56 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. First of all, you mentioned that she has PCOS, but this does not relate to the current situation. Her greatest risk for having a baby with Down's syndrome was her age. Women over the age of 35 are at greater risk.

One thing you did not mention was WHY did she have the amnio. Was there some finding on ultrasound that prompted this evaluation? What are the "medical procedures required" that you are referring to with regard to the fetus?

Please answer these questions and we can then review the procedure and risks.