Have PCOD, trying for second child. Suggest?

Mar 2016

Hi mam

I M The patient of PCOD , i have 1 child of 2 years old , and i m trying for 2 issue, I had my first child by taking oral medications
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need Hormonal Medication. Follow the suggestion.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on XXXXXXX

According to your information, you are suffering from secondary infertility due to PCOD (Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease). It is a most common endocrine disorder among reproductive age group women. It is associated with hormonal imbalance & improper ovulation, leads to irregular delayed period & infertility to some extent.

However, you will be definitely able to conceive for 2nd issue. For successful conception, you would need to follow these suggestions:

1) You need to have a regular cycle with proper ovulation. I handle this type of problem with progesterone pill and ovulation induction drug (like clomephene) to regularize the cycle & correct hormonal problem in most patients. Metformin may be needed in case of insulin resistance. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your gynecologist.

2) For proper ovulation, you need to undergo serial follicular study or you can use ovulation prediction kit (LH kit) in the middle of each cycle. To maximize the chance of pregnancy, you should involve in unprotected sex close to ovulation time or fertile days.

3) You have to undergo some other fertility tests if you fail to conceive within 6-12 months of regular sex. These includes husband semen analysis, test for tubal patency and cervical factors, D-21 progesterone hormone assay, blood sugar & prolactin level test etc.

4) You must take a healthy balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables. Low carbohydrate diet is preferable. Take vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for 3 months in preconception period and there after.

5) Do light exercise for physical fitness and avoid mental stress completely by regular meditation/ yoga. Maintain a healthy life style.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for you. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have PCOD, trying for second child. Suggest? 15 hours later
i have regular periods, and suggest me the dates of my ovulation as my periods comes regularly for every 30 days
Answered by Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ovulation occurs on 16th day of each cycle.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

It is a positive thing to have a regular period. In 30 days cycle, you will ovulate on 16th day (i.e 14 days prior to next due date). Your fertile days will be from 14th to 18th day of each cycle. In this time period, you have maximum chance of being pregnant by unprotected sex without taking any contraceptive method.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen