Have PCOD, sudden weight gain, taken Metformin and Oosure. Will I be able to lose weight and conceive?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hello doctor..i am a dental surgeon..my age is 27..married since 2 and 1/2 years..i am suffering from pcod since 8 to 9months. i am under treatment for the same..i experienced a sudden weight gain..from 52kg to 63kg in 3months period..for this i visited doctor and there i came to know that i am having pcod..my T3, T4, and TSH
are within normal limits..doctor previously prescribed me metformin but now she asked me to continue with oosure tablet..please guide me with such treatment will i be able to lose my weight and when will i be able to conceive..i am fed up of treatment now..please help
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 57 minutes later
hi doctor,

PCOD is a disorder characterized by menstrual irregularities, insulin resistance etc,
anovulation can be there as part of the menstrual irregularities,
metformin helps in increasing the insulin sensitivity and oosure is said to help in ovulation, implantation etc.

but just by taking these tablets you cannot loose weight,
you have to loose weight by exercises, walking, dietary management etc, if needed you can take the help of a professional person, if you maintain the BMI within normal limits your symptoms of PCOD can come under control,

also better to take ovulation induction drugs along with your regular treatment and plan intercourse around the time of ovulation,
you can track the ovulation by natural means like cervical mucus method or by ovulation kit or by ultrasound etc,
this will increase the chances of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have PCOD, sudden weight gain, taken Metformin and Oosure. Will I be able to lose weight and conceive? 2 days later
hello..doctor as u said that metformin and oosure both are having different role. so is it safe if i take both the tablets together..i am also exercising daily but have lost only 1kg from last 4months. weight loss is becoming very difficult procedure for me. i am also dieting according to my dietician..
please help..
thanks.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

You can use both the tablets, as though they are having different roles finally they will help in reducing the symptoms of PCOD and in ovulation.
As you lost 1kg it is good, progressively you can loose more weight.
Some amount of weight loss also can help in reducing the symptoms to some extent and it will give you the confidence that you can loose some more weight.
So continue the exercises and diet chart, gradually increase the time period of exercise.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.