Have PCOD. Trying to lose weight. What should I do?

I am 25,5.3' height,85 kg..geting maried in 6 months..have PCOD disorder.

Diet plans and exercise is not having results as expected.And as i work in shifts it not regular as well.

Please guide me how to reduc emy weight.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Based on your height and weight, your body mass index, or BMI indicates that you are overweight, but you already know this. The reason that this is important is that it is related to PCOD. PCOD is a syndrome that is related to a pre-diabetic state with the key factor often being insulin resistance. Weight loss can be very difficult, especially if this insulin resistance is a factor. It also leads to very irregular cycles, fertility problems, and higher risks during pregnancy. So I agree, your goal to lose weight is a noble goal that you CAN achieve. Here are some ideas:

1. You need screening for diabetes / insulin resistance - if this is present, you might benefit in terms of cycle regulation and weight loss with the addition of an oral diabetes medication
2. Restriction of calories is critical - perhaps even more important that exercise. One way to take an honest look at how you are doing is to track calories using an APP on your phone. Here are two to check out: LoseIt, and Fooducate.
3. Continue daily exercise - even just vigorous walking 30 minutes per day
4. Ask you doctor about seeing a Nutritionist to help assess your diet
5. You must be patient - it will be very difficult to reach your ideal body weight before your wedding, but perhaps it is possible before future attempts at conception.

I hope this helps. I have done the best that I can to give you anything to work with - please ask if you have more questions. - DR XXXXXX