Have PCOD. Trying to conceive. On foloite, evion forte and dupheston. Is it good to undergo laproscopy?

Hi Doctor,I am 27years..married for 4years,but TTC from 8 months.diagnosed with PCOD. Periods are regular.weight-45kgs
Have been put on medications on Foloite,Cap Evion Forte,Arg 9 with Dupheston.I have been asked to undergo Diagnostic laproscopy.I have heard that they start with Clomid initially.Is it good for me to undergo laproscopy or ask my Gync to start with ovulation drugs?Please advice.

Thanks in advance...
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

In the typical patient with PCOD, their main presenting complaint is either irregular cycles, absence of cycles, and infertility. The problem with regard to infertility has to do with absent or irregular ovulation. While I am not completely familiar with all of your medications (though I am able to see what they are online) because they are not used in the US, I am familiar with Clomid. Clomid is used to increase the chance of ovulation and pregnancy. In most cases, I would use Clomid for 3 months and THEN discuss the laparoscopy. The purpose of the laparoscopy is to assess whether your tube are open and also to look for causes of pelvic pain and infertility, such as endometriosis.

Also, most patients in the US are not deemed to be having problems with infertility until they have been trying to conceive for 12 months. It would be reasonable to try Clomid for 3 months, and if no success, move towards the laparoscopy as you will have then reached the 11-12 months of trying with no success.

The only thing that I can think is that they are recommending the laparoscopy because your cycles are already regular, and that while they are worried about the PCOD, that it is not a great explanation, in their minds, to why you are having trouble conceiving. Also, you did not mention whether there was some other reason why they are recommending this surgery, such as pelvic pain.

I hope this helps. If there are additional details that would help to give you a more accurate answer, please provide them. Otherwise, please provide feedback for this answer! Good luck.