Have PCOD. Test showed normal. Suggested to lose weight. What should be done to lose weight?

Dear OBGYN Doctor,

I have a query regarding my spouse who is having PCOD. She is 5.5 and weighs 95 Kgs. All tests done have suggested everything to be normal except that she is borderline PCOD. Her doctor has suggested trying weightloss first before medical intervention. However, she is kind of lazy to do the walking or jogging suggested. Can you recommend some simple exercises/food, etc. for weight loss. Also, is there anything else that can be done to overcome PCOD?

Your answer is much appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 44 minutes later

For weight loss the best thing is diet and exercise. I personally do not prefer any medication for weight loss.

I understand that your spouse is not keen on exercise. In this circumstance perhaps taking a nutritionist help for personalised diet plan might be useful. However diet needs to be coupled with good exercise, you need to encourage her to exercise - brisk walk (30 mins to an hour every day/5days a week) for better weight management, so keep encouraging her. With your motivation and help of a good diet plan she should succeed in shedding the extra kilos of weight.

For irregular menses she can try oral contraceptive pills which are also used for regularisation of cycles, in consultation with her doctor. In addition I also suggest getting her thyroid hormones checked.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Best wishes