Have PCKD and take AZO for UTI symptoms. Have ceftin and biaxin and amoxicillin. What can I do?

I have PCKD and have taken AZO for past 3 days for UTI symptoms. It has not helped at all. I am a critical care nurse and have been sick and on a lot of anti-biotic over past year. I have been on a break for at least a month.
I think I need to start one. I did just have some blood on the tissue. My BUN and CRT have been normal as of my last check. Just trying to figure out which one I should try. How much is this? I can research on my own. I have ceftin and biaxin and amoxicillin at home now.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query

I am happy you are from the medical profession as well.

The ideal thing to do now is to get yourself a urine routine and see if there are pus cells and rbc cells. If the pus cells are present then you should send the urine for culture, based on the organism that grows and its sensitivity, an appropriate antibiotic can be started. The reason why I am asking you to do this is because you have been on a lot of antibiotics so the chances of an urine infection with multiple drug resistance is higher.

Cefitin is a good antibiotic for PCKD related urinary tract infection, to be taken for 7 days.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries I will be happy to get back

Follow-up: Have PCKD and take AZO for UTI symptoms. Have ceftin and biaxin and amoxicillin. What can I do? 4 hours later
Yes, I figured you say something like that. I understand why. I just am always at the doctor between me and my two sick kids wanted the easy way for a change. Cipro for 10 days is what my nephrologist would put me on, I do not have of coarse. I have every other antibiotic under the sun. What dosage would you recommend? I'm 5'9 and 132lbs. Thanks for the help. Why would AZO not work? It has always helped manage symptoms in the past. Just curious if you would know. Thanks XXXXXXX

ceftin dose not cipro. I know that one. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
AZO takes care of symptoms; it isn't an antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for replying

1. AZO is not an antibiotic. It relieves pain and irritation associated with urinary infection; but has no role in treating infection.

2. Ceftin is usually given as 500mg twice a day tablets for an adult. But if I were your doctor I would treat you with a combination of levofloxacin or oflox with cefixime. Cefixime 200 twice daily and levofloxacin 500 once daily. I understand you are busy and tied down, however I strongly recommend that you get a urine culture done before you try antibiotics. This will make sure you are treated completely and not partially.

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery